Years 10

Students currently study Core Science in year 10 and this is assessed by 25% controlled assessment and 75% written examination. The Core Science syllabus covers all aspects of science including Biology, Chemistry and Physics. In the Biology section students will develop their understanding of the themes of Adaptation for Survival, Energy in biomass, Variation, Reproduction and New Technology and Evolution.

The Chemistry section develops the students’ understanding of the themes of Products from Oils, Plant Oils and Our Changing Planet.

The Physics section will cover the themes of Generating Electricity, Waves and Electromagnetic Waves.

Assessment in science takes place at least once per half term using written examinations which are taken from past papers so that the students gain experience in how to answer these types of questions. The controlled assessment is usually delivered in the summer term of the previous year with a catch up being offered at the start of the spring term. Assessments are carried out in exam conditions and students are given clear advice on the areas they need to develop when given written feedback.

Year 11

All students currently study Additional Science in year 11 and this is assessed by 25% controlled assessment and 75% written examination. The Additional Science syllabus covers all aspects of science including Biology, Chemistry and Physics. In the Biology section students will develop their understanding of the themes of Cells, Tissues and Organs, Organisms in the Environment, Enzymes and Energy from Respiration, Inheritance in Animals and Plants and Old and New Species.

The Chemistry section develops the students’ understanding of the themes of Chemical Structures, Bonding and Properties, Reacting Masses and Yields of Reactions, Rates of Chemical Reactions and the Chemistry of Acids and Alkalis.

The Physics section will cover Motion, Forces, Work, Energy and Momentum, Current and Mains Electricity and Radioactivity and Energy from Atoms.

Assessment in science takes place at least once per half term using written examinations which are taken from past papers so that the students gain experience in how to answer these types of questions. The controlled assessment is usually delivered in the summer term of the previous year with a catch up being offered at the start of the spring term. Assessments are carried out in exam conditions and students are given clear advice on the areas they need to develop when given written feedback.

Some students opt to study a third science in Y11 and this is either the BTEC Science course or Further Additional Science. The BTEC is taught in parallel with their Science and the Further Additional is taught consecutively.

The themes that will be covered in the Biology sections of Further Additional Science are Exchange and Transport of Materials, Maintaining Constant Internal Conditions and the Effect of the Human Population on the Environment.

The Chemistry section develops the students’ understanding of the themes of The Periodic Table, Water, Energy in Chemical Reactions, Chemical Analysis and Synthesis and Organic Chemistry.

The Physics section will cover the themes of Medical Applications of Physics, Using Magnetic Fields to Keep Things Moving and Using Physics to Make Things Work,

The BTEC course is made up of a centre assessed portfolio of 10 written assignments and a written examination which is sat in January of Year 11 with a catch up opportunity provided in June. The written examination contributes 25% of the final grade with the remaining 75% coming from the coursework portfolio.

The Further Additional Science and BTEC courses are assessed in the same manner as the other Science GCSE’s.